Wednesday, November 29, 2023

What Immunizations Are Required For College

Don't Miss

Are The Required Immunizations For My Program Placement Covered Through Insurance

University of Lynchburg vaccinations required

TB testing is provided free of charge. Hepatitis B vaccines are available at a reduced rate for Algonquin College students. Free influenza vaccinations are offered during the flu season. For all other immunizations, please check with our team. Health Services is available by phone to answer any questions that students may have: 613-727-4723 ext.7222.

If you still have questions about immunizations at Health Services, please contact your campus clinic.

State Immunization Requirements For Enrolled Students

Indiana state law requires all new, regularly enrolled students attending residential campuses of Indiana public universities be immunized against Rubeola , Rubella , Mumps, Meningitis, Diphtheria, and Tetanus. This law requires the university to block the enrollment of any student who does not comply with immunization requirements. If your record is held for immunization noncompliance, registration for future courses cannot be completed until all requirements have been met.

All incoming students MUST complete the immunization information form located under the forms tab in the Patient Portal found at If you are not able to access the portal immediately, please check back during the first week of classes. Most common with graduate students.

Indiana law does not require a physician to confirm dates of immunizations. You may self-report your immunization dates utilizing the Patient Portal.

State-required immunizations are available at the Student Health Center and through other healthcare providers.

Covid Vaccine On Campus

During the 2020 COVID-19 outbreak many colleges moved to online college classes. As states reopen, universities are welcoming students back on campus. Some schools require that students receive the vaccine before resuming regular classes. Students should research their current school policies on the COVID vaccine.

Currently, there are three different vaccines available. The Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna both require two doses to be considered fully vaccinated. The Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine has resumed in the United States and requires one dose. Below are three vaccine finders that allow students to locate vaccination sites. Students should also look for their state specific vaccine finder.

Also Check: Ashworth College Masters

I Recently Received My Covid

According to the National Advisory Committee on Immunization , COVID-19 vaccines should NOT be given simultaneously with other vaccines . It is recommended to wait for a period of at least 28 days after each vaccine dose of an mRNA or viral vector COVID-19 vaccine before the administration of another vaccine.

Providing Proof Of Vaccination

West Virginia Department of Education sets new ...

Colleges who have vaccination requirements will provide proof from the student. This proof can be provided in three ways.

  • Their healthcare provider can complete a form indicating what vaccinations the student received and when.
  • The student can provide immunization records from an official source, such as their doctors office.
  • If an official document contains vaccination information showing the student meets the colleges requirements , this may be sufficient proof of vaccinations.

Read Also: Does The Army Pay For College

Vi Additional Requirements For Select Programs

All students enrolled in health care fields of study or teacher education programs are required to provide documentation of Immunization and health screenings as established by applicable state licensing agencies or clinical or fieldwork placement sites.

Academic programs or campus-sponsored activities may require additional Immunizations if students may be at increased risk of exposure .

Students should contact the specific program supervisor for information on any additional required Immunizations or screenings.

North Carolina Required Immunizations For Entering Students

The general deadline for submission of the Immunization Form is June 15th for Fall admissions and December 15th for Spring admissions. A $25 non-compliance charge will be placed on your student account if you do not submit records via your ConnectCarolina To-Do List item by the 1st day of classes.

All new and transfer students are required to submit documentation of state-required immunizations. Students who were previously enrolled at UNC-Chapel Hill are not required to resubmit immunization documentation.

Per North Carolina state law, students will be WITHDRAWN FROM THE UNIVERSITY 30 days after classes begin if immunization requirements have not been met.

Immunizations REQUIRED pursuant to North Carolina state law and institutional policy:


Varicella 1 dose

Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis: Individuals entering a college or university must have 3 doses of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis one of which must be a Tdap booster .

Polio: An individual attending school who has attained their 18th birthday is not required to receive polio vaccine.

Hepatitis B: Three doses are required for individuals entering college or university. A 2 dose series of Heplisav-B is acceptable . Hepatitis B titers are not acceptable for this requirement students will need to show documentation of completed vaccine series. Hepatitis B vaccine is not required if an individual was born before July 1, 1994.

* Two doses of MMR will meet this requirement

Required vs. Recommended

Also Check: Where Is Charis Bible College

Signed Documentation Stating That Student Has Received The Vaccine Or Reviewed Information Provided As Required By House Bill 504 Required For Some Students


1 dose meningococcal conjugate vaccine for unvaccinated persons

1 booster dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine for persons who received initial dose of MCV4 more than five years prior to admittance.

Signed documentation that student has received and reviewed information about meningococcal disease as required by O.C.G.A.§ 31-12-3.2

Newly admitted freshmen or matriculated students planning to reside in university managed campus housing or residing in sorority or fraternity houses. Effective July 1, 2015, HB 504 amended Code Section 31-12-3.2 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to meningococcal disease vaccinations and disclosures “In accordance with the recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, newly admitted students who are 18 years of age or older residing in campus housing as defined by the postsecondary educational institution or residing in sorority or fraternity houses shall be required to sign a document provided by the postsecondary educational institution stating that he or she has received vaccination against meningococcal disease not more than five years prior to such admittance or reviewed the information provided as required by subsection of this Code section. If a student is a minor, only a parent or guardian may sign such document.”

What Are The Top Vaccines That College Students Need

Seattle Public Schools considering asking state to add COVID-19 vaccine as required immunization

“Each patient will have a different situation, and their medical records can bring them up to date. Overall, the ones I’d emphasize are meningitis and hepatitis B.”

“Almost every college requires or strongly recommends students be vaccinated for meningitis, especially if they plan to live in the dorms. Close quarters make it easier for bacteria to spread.”

“Hepatitis B is a blood-borne infection, but can also be transmitted through sexual activity. The disease can have long-term liver consequences. The hepatitis B vaccine is a three-dose series, and might be among the safest vaccines ever made.”

“I would also recommend the combined tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis vaccine.”

Recommended Reading: How To Get My Son Recruited For College Football

Immunization Requirement Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I’ve just been notified that I need to submit my immunization records. Why?

A: SUNY Empire State College conducts registration audits each term to identify students whose registration requires them to submit immunization documentation. Students whose course registration totals 6 or more credits of coursework including independent study, study group or residency courses allow faculty and students the opportunity to meet face-to-face at one of our locations across the state. Therefore, it is the type of course you register for that determines the requirements to comply.

Q: What if I do not have copies of my immunization records?

A: You have many options available to submit acceptable forms of proof of immunization:

  • Contact your physician or healthcare provider and request they send Empire State College your vaccination record.
  • Contact a previous New York State college/university health office or U.S elementary or high school and request they send Empire State College your vaccination record.
  • Contact your physician to obtain titer tests to determine immunity, or
  • Contact your local pharmacy, or county/city health department to obtain vaccinations at little or no cost.

Q: The College did not accept the documents I submitted. What are acceptable forms of proof of immunization?

A: Students must submit physician-verified documents to prove immunization. These documents must provide your name and date of birth. Documents include but are not limited to:

A: Measles



Waivers For Measles Mumps Rubella Varicella Tdap Or Meningococcal Vaccines

To request a medical waiver for measles, mumps, rubella varicella Tdap or meningococcal vaccines, submit a letter signed by a licensed physician stating:

  • Students name
  • Medical condition that contraindicates vaccine
  • Approximate time until condition resolves, if applicable
  • Physicians signature and date
  • Physicians contact information, including phone number

Students may submit a medical waiver to the immunization compliance coordinator, via the myUOHealth Portal.

To request a non-medical waiver for measles, mumps, rubella varicella Tdap or meningococcal vaccines, students must be counseled by a health care professional, either their own or one at University Health Services. Students may use the UO Certificate of Immunization Status to submit a non-medical waiver to the UHS immunization compliance coordinator via the myUOHealth Portal.

Waiving the measles, mumps, rubella vaccine specifically also requires watching the Oregon Health Authority College Measles Module and providing the certificate of completion to the immunization compliance coordinator, via the myUOHealthPortal .

Recommended Reading: Colleges On The Quarter System

Immunization Instructions For Students Entering Year 1

  • Review the Specific Immunization Requirements . The requirements align with the requirements you will have when you participate in clinical electives through the AFMC Student Portal.
  • Locate your childhood and adult immunization records. If you do not have these records, contact your Public Health Unit or Family Doctor.
  • Set up an appointment with Student Wellness Locate your childhood and adult immunization records. If you do not have these records, contact your Public Health Unit or Family Doctor. Students are required to and submit immunization records and signed consent form to prior to their first appointment. Note that Student Wellness can provide remote appointments.
  • You may choose to see your Family Physician to begin and/or complete your immunization review, but you are still required to have an appointment with Student Health Services to ensure all requirements have been met

  • You will have your Two Step Tuberculin skin test at your first visit at Student Health. The TST is completed over 4 visits.
  • Sign the consent that is attached and bring it with you to your first appointment
  • The COVID-19 vaccination should take precedence over other immunization. Due to the recommended 28 days interval between COVID-19 vaccine and receiving other vaccines. The deadline for completion of immunizations has been extended to October 1st, 2021.
  • Required Vaccines For Students

    Immunizations for Start of School  Roosevelt Elementary ...
    COVID-19 Two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine or one dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine. Full effectiveness is on the 15th day after the last dose. UHS accepts non-US COVID-19 vaccines that are assessed and endorsed by the World Health Organization.
    Measles, mumps, and rubella * Two doses of the MMR vaccine or two doses of individual measles and mumps vaccines and one dose of rubella vaccine first dose of MMR or individual measles, mumps, and rubella vaccines on or after age 1ORtiter showing immunityORbirthdate prior to 1957
    Varicella Two doses first dose on or after age 1ORphysician documentation of diseaseORtiter showing immunity

    * A hold will be placed on the registration process of students who are not compliant with measles, mumps, and rubella requirements . For international students, the hold will be placed on registration prior to their first term at the University of Oregon. For domestic students who are US citizens, the hold will be placed on registration for their second term.

    Don’t Miss: Is Grammarly Free For College Students

    Current Required Vaccines For Unr Students

    • Two doses of the measles, mumps, and rubella .
    • One dose for tetanus/diphtheria within the past 10 years.
    • Meningococcal vaccination on or after age 16.
    • Completed COVID-19 vaccination series. Two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna or one dose of Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

    TMCC students also must show proof of one of the three COVID-19 vaccines. Only nursing students at TMCC have to prove vaccination status for other vaccines.

    Siobhan McAndrew tells stories about the people of Northern Nevada and covers education in Washoe County. Read her journalism right here. Consider supporting her work .

    Is Your Teen Planning To Travel

    Does your teen have an opportunity for travel outside the United States?

    Plan four to six weeks before your trip. You may need this much time to complete a vaccine series, and your body needs time to build up immunity. Be sure to find out vaccine recommendations and requirements for your travel destination.

    Also Check: Berkeley College Tuition Cost

    Massachusetts School Immunization Requirements 2021

    Requirements apply to all full-time undergraduate and graduate students under 30 years of age and all full and part-time health science students. This includes full or part-time students attending any postsecondary institution while on a student or other visa, including foreign exchange students attending or visiting classes as part of an academic visitation or exchange program. Meningococcal requirements apply to the group specified in the table below.

    What If Youve Already Been Vaccinated Or Youre Not Sure

    Seattle Public School Board postpones vote on vaccine mandate request for students

    Ideally, you or your parents will have a copy of your childhood vaccination records. Dont have them? Try contacting any doctors office or medical clinic where you received a vaccination shot. If you went to a prior school or had an employer that required certain vaccinations, they may have a copy you previously provided to enroll or start working. Finally, you can try your states health department or health agency, which may have an immunization database. is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.

    Also Check: Who Buys Back Used College Textbooks

    Recommended Vaccines For College Students

    This section provides information about recommended vaccinations for college students. Below you will find links to information about the vaccines and the diseases they protect against.

    The Ohio Revised Code Section 1713.55 states that beginning with the academic year that commences on or after July 1, 2005, an institution of higher education shall not permit a student to reside in on-campus housing unless the student discloses whether the student has been vaccinated against meningococcal disease and hepatitis B by submitting a meningitis and hepatitis B vaccination status statement.

    ORC Section 3701.133 states that the Ohio Department of Health shall make available on its Web site information about meningitis and hepatitis B, the risks associated with the diseases and the availability and effectiveness of the vaccines. ODH shall also make available, on its Web site, in a format suitable for downloading, a meningitis and hepatitis B vaccination status statement form that complies with the guidelines outlined in ORC Section 3701.133, .

    On this page you will find a link to each disease and a vaccination status statement that may be downloaded, printed and used if the institution of higher education chooses. The institution may also develop its own form, but it must comply with ORC Section 3701.133, .

    What Vaccines Do You Need Before College

    31 May 2016

    College-bound students are about to make the transition to adulthood, but that doesn’t mean that they’re done with vaccines. In fact, lifestyle changes and dormitory living can put college students at higher risk for certain infections.

    Here’s a list of vaccines that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends for young adults before they go off to college:

    Meningococcal conjugate vaccine: In addition to the CDC’s recommendation that students get vaccinated against meningococcal disease before starting college, some states actually make the shot mandatory.

    Meningococcal disease is a bacterial infection that can cause meningitis, or a swelling of the membranes that cover the brain or spinal cord. The bacteria that cause the disease can spread from person to person, and the illness can be life-threatening.

    People living in close quarters, including college dorms, are at higher risk for becoming infected with meningococcal disease. Outbreaks of the disease have also been reported on college campuses over the last several years, the CDC said. For this reason, the CDC recommends that the vaccine be given to first-year college students.

    Whooping cough vaccine booster: Adolescents should get a whooping cough vaccine booster shot when they are 11 to 12 years old. But if they didn’t get this booster shot as a preteen or teen, they should get one dose of Tdap before college, the CDC said.

    You May Like: Can I Sell My College Books

    Measles Mumps And Rubella

    Most people born after 1957 in the U.S. are immunized against measles, but sometimes they missed a dose in childhood. Without both of the required shots, your college student may not have full immunity. Check your childs immunization records, and schedule a booster if necessary.

    RELATED: Do you need a measles booster?

    Iv Failure To Provide Immunization Documentation

    Austin Public Health encourages families to schedule back ...

    New first-year or transfer students who do not submit all required Immunization documentation will not be allowed to register or enroll in classes after their first term of enrollment at Nevada State College.

    Students approved to live in campus residential housing will not be issued a key until all required Immunization documentation is received.

    If the health authority determines that there is a case at Nevada State College having a communicable disease against which immunity is required for admission, and a student who has not submitted proof of immunity to that disease is attending Nevada State, the president shall require that:

    A. The student be immunized or

    B. The student be excluded from Nevada State College until allowed to return by the health authority.

    Read Also: When Do College Credits Expire

    More articles

    - Advertisement -

    Popular Articles