Public Service Bodies Rebate
89. Where a vocational school cannot claim ITCs , a public service bodies rebate may be available.
90. A vocational school that is also a charity or a qualifying non-profit organization may be able to claim a rebate of the GST or the federal part of the HST paid or payable on eligible purchases and expenses. A vocational school that is also a charity or a qualifying non-profit organization and that is resident in a participating province may also be eligible to claim a rebate of the provincial part of the HST paid or payable on eligible purchases and expenses.
91. For information about charities, qualifying non-profit organizations, and the public service bodies rebate, refer to Guide;RC4034, GST/HST Public Service Bodies Rebate; Guide;RC4081, GST/HST Information for Non-Profit Organizations; and Guide;RC4082, GST/HST Information for Charities.
Consider Job Placement Options
Make sure to assess the programs job placement opportunities. Determine which organizations tend to hire from the programs you are considering and ask about their job placement rates. Try talking to previous graduates or the programs career experts to make sure the process meets your expectations.
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans
Much like its subsidized cousin, the Direct Unsubsidized Loan allows students to borrow from the federal government to attend school. Where the;unsubsidized loan differs, is that the government does not pay your interest while youre in school. Instead, the interest accrues and then compounds onto the balance.
This means that when you graduate or leave school, your balance will be slightly higher than when your loan was first taken out, and each time the interest compounds, it will increase the principal amount. Youll pay more in the long run, but the interest rate is fixed for the entire term of the loan and is still 5.05%.
Read Also: How Do College Coaches Make Offers
Highest Paying Trade School Degrees
While it might seem like a college education is essential for a successful post-high school career, dont give in quite yet. Maybe college isnt your thing. And maybe, just maybe, youd excel in a more hands-on, trade-oriented career. To get there, you may not need a 4-year school, as some jobs dont require a Bachelors degree. So dont get pressured to attend a 4-year school if you dont need to.
What Distinguishes One From The Other
While bothtrade schools and community colleges can provide a good foundation for a careerin the trade, it is still ideal for getting to know what makes them differentfrom each other. This way, students will be able to weigh their choices andsettle for the best option.
Sometimescalled the technical or vocational school, a trade school is an institutionwhere students can acquire a hands-on education in a specialized career. Careerscan be in the field of carpentry, woodwork, construction, plumbing,electricity, and many more.
Communitycolleges, on the other hand, deliver a type of coursework that is compatiblewith that of most universities. These institutions prepare students for a four-yearcollege.
Theirdifferences between the two are apparent in the following fields: coursework,learning environment, length of study, method, cost, and financial aid. Thefollowing is a more in-depth take of each option.
Coursework and Program Content
Since tradeschools are more specific and specialized in a chosen career field, programsoffered usually do not include general courses. While it is common to haveclassroom lectures, most programs involve practical applications of theknowledge they have learned.; This allowsstudents to jump straight into the profession they choose, letting themcomplete the program at a much faster track.
Methods of Study
Average Program Cost
Recommended Reading: What Are The Top Online Colleges
Disadvantages Of Attending A Trade School
While vocational schools do offer some benefits, there are significant drawbacks, especially when compared to traditional 4-year colleges.
Even though there are financial benefits to going to a trade school, college graduates, on average, make more money than trade school grads. According to College Scorecard, the salary after attending, which is the median income for students receiving federal financial aid 10 years after graduating, for American Career College in Los Angeles ranges from $14,300 to $40,400 depending on field of study. Comparatively, the salary after attending for UCLA goes from $21,000 to $102,100. Even after accounting for the additional time spent in school, the average UCLA graduate is going to come out well ahead financially.
Also, four-year colleges tend to offer more generous financial aid. After financial aid, the average cost for West Coast University in Anaheim, California is $42,206. Meanwhile, the average cost for an in-state student at CSU Long Beach, a California State University, is $8,982.
Furthermore, if you go to a vocational school, you’ll miss out on the traditional college experience. At trade schools, there’s no real on-campus culture, and there’s limited social interaction. At a four-year college, you can join clubs, attend campus parties, go to sporting events, join Greek life, and live in dorms with your peers. For many people, the college experience gives them wonderful memories and helps them form long-lasting friendships.
Supply Of An Admission To A Seminar Activity Or Event
82. The following are some of the factors that generally indicate that a given supply is a supply of an admission to a seminar, activity or event:
- The supplier and the participant engage in minimal individualized interaction.
- The participant need only attend the activity to receive evidence of successful or satisfactory completion of the activity.
- The suppliers purpose with respect to the activity is principally to provide information to, or to facilitate the exchange of information among, participants.
- The subject of the activity is narrowly focused .
- The activity is discrete from other activities offered by the supplier, with no formal prerequisites for attendance.
- The participant is not required to take part in the activity as a prerequisite for participating in another activity.
- The activity is promoted as a stand-alone activity.
- The activity is promoted to the general public.
- The activity is promoted as a seminar, workshop or similar event.
- The activity occurs during a brief, concentrated period of time .
Don’t Miss: How To Raise Money For College
Central And Eastern Europe
In Central and Eastern Europe, a vocational education is represented in forms of vocational technical schools often abbreviated as PTU, technical colleges and technical high school.
- Vocational school
Vocational school or Vocational college is considered a post-secondary education type school, but combines coursework of a high school and stretching for six years. In Ukraine, the term is used mostly for sports schools sometimes interchangeably with the term college. Such college could be a separate entity or a branch of bigger university. Successful graduates receive a specialist degree.
PTUs are usually a preparatory vocational education and are equivalent to the general education of the third degree in the former Soviet education, providing a lower level of vocational education . It could be compared to a trade high school. In the 1920-30s, such PTUs were called schools of factory and plant apprenticeship, and later 1940s – vocational schools. Sometime after 1959, the name PTU was established, however, with the reorganization of the Soviet educational system these vocational schools renamed into lyceums. There were several types of PTUs such as middle city PTU and rural PTU.
What Credentials Can You Earn Through Trade Schools
Technical schools offer a range of credentials. Some of the most common options include:
Certificates and diplomas: These trade school credentials indicate that you have mastered the essential elements of the field by passing a test or demonstrating your skills.
Licensing exams: Some trade school programs are designed to prepare you to pass professional exams and receive a license to work in your industry.
Apprenticeships: Some vocational colleges provide instruction that you need before becoming an apprentice or a journeyman in a technical field. When you complete these programs, you will be qualified to start at an entry-level position.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Passive Income In College
Provides Courses That Develop Or Enhance Students Occupational Skills
18. Finally, to qualify as a vocational school, an organization must provide correspondence courses, or instruction in courses, that develop or enhance students occupational skills. These courses must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- they must have a direct link to skills that are essential for an individual to become employed in a particular field
- they must directly build upon and/or enhance an individuals skills in their chosen field, such that they can continue to work in that field
19. Courses that are designed for personal interest or that focus on subjects such as sports, games, hobbies and other recreational or cultural pursuits are not considered to be courses that enhance occupational skills.
20. To determine whether the courses provided by an organization are courses that enhance occupational skills, the CRA considers a variety of factors, including:
- the manner in which courses are marketed in the course literature
- the course outcome
21. It is important to distinguish between courses that are taken to develop or enhance students occupational skills and those that are taken for workplace health and safety reasons, such as courses in first aid, working at heights or the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System .
Medical Dental And Pharmacy
- Medical Billing and Coding Medical Billers and Coders analyze patients medical documentation looking for diagnoses and treatments, then determine the appropriate code and record that for insurance billing purposes. They are the middle person between physicians and insurance companies, managing important, confidential data.
- Dental Assistant -A Dental Assistant works directly with the dentist, preparing instruments, assisting with procedures, taking impressions and discussing dental care with patients. They may also take on administrative tasks such as updating records or scheduling appointments.
- Pharmacy Technician -Pharmacy Technicians communicate with patients and relay their needs, questions and concerns to the Pharmacist. They also handle pharmaceutical inventory.
Recommended Reading: When To Apply For Financial Aid For College
Why Choose A Skilled Trades Program
If youre interested in the trades, a college program is a great place to start working toward your career. Not only will you learn from skilled and experienced tradespeople, youll also benefit from a network of industry connections that can lead to apprenticeships and jobs. Many college trades programs also combine apprenticeship training or co-ops right into the diploma programs, so you can complete the in-school requirements of an apprenticeship as part of your program.
If youre looking to explore the trades but arent quite sure which specialty you want to choose, you may want to consider a pre-trades program. These programs will expose you to a variety of trades, including construction, electrical and machining, and will also help you develop complementary skills, such as mathematics for the trades, drafting, and employment readiness.
Make Sure The Trade School Offers The Program You Want
Nothing else about the school matters if it doesn’t have the program you want, so this is your first step. If you’re interested in a specific program/certificate, make sure the school offers exactly what you’re looking for so there are no surprises once you graduate. You can also ask admissions counselors at the school which jobs the program will qualify you for.
Recommended Reading: How To Be Debt Free In College
Trade School Vs College
It has been drilled into students’ heads for ages that going to college is an absolute must if they want a high paying job. Sure, everyone needs a skill to support themselves, but do those skills need to come from a four-year university? No, they do not. See highest paying trade school jobs.
After graduating high school, not everyone is interested in four more years of classes. Trade schools offer another option, one that can make a lot of sense practically and financially. One of the top reasons to choose trade school over traditional college is how fast you can train for a career. By taking the trade school route, a student can get into the workforce quicklyas few as 6 to 9 months for HVAC technician and medical assistant, and only 160 training hours for CDL truck driver.
Federal Student Loans For Trade School
Most people think of;federal student loans;as only being for four-year colleges and universities. The truth is that there are many trade and vocational schools that also qualify for federal loans. If youre considering specific trade schools, check with their financial aid offices to see if they are eligible.
When you complete the;Free Application for Federal Student Aid;, which is the first step in getting any financial aid from the federal government, you can enter the trade schools code just like any other college.
That school will then receive a report based on your FAFSA data and will create a financial aid package for you that may include federal student loans.
You May Like: Can I Sell My College Books
Yourselfin A Future You Built
They build our homes, schools and workplaces, they manufacture and repair our vehicles, they maintain the hydro systems that keep the lights on, they cook your meal when you go to a restaurant, and so much more. The work of skilled tradespeople keeps our cities and our lives moving. In fact, it’s estimated that by 2025, 40 percent of all occupations will be in skilled trades.
Be a part of this booming industry. See all that the skilled trades have to offer.
Comparing The Cost Of Trade School Vs College
While the average cost for a four-year college is listed at $9,410 per year, most graduates actually;end up paying around $127,000 for their degree!;Of those, at least 20% graduate with more than $50,000 in debt and nearly 6% graduate from a four-year university with over $100,000 in student loan debt. How many years of work will it take to pay that off?
On the high end, it costs;around $33,000 to complete trade school.;However, there are programs available that cost less.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Into Junior College
Can You Complete Vocational Training Online
Yes! Online vocational training is available in a wide variety of specializations. Here are just a few examples:
- Advanced Medical Coding
- Veterinary Assisting
- Wedding Planner
Vocational training online is an excellent option for those who have other commitments, such as a job or family, that they need to maintain while earning a degree or certification. While the majority of the training can be completed online, some online vocational training programs include additional hands-on courses at a campus or workplace in the students area.
Supplies Made By Sole Proprietors
24. As mentioned previously, the CRA acknowledges that a sole proprietorship may be an organization for purposes of the definition of vocational school. However, supplies of instructional services made by a self-employed coach, instructor, teacher or other type of individual educator are normally taxable unless they are a supply of music lessons or of tutoring or instructing an individual in a course that is approved for credit, or that follows a curriculum designated, by a school authority. For additional information, refer to GST/HST Memorandum;20-6, Tutoring and Equivalent Services.
25. A sole proprietor who provides instruction during private, one-on-one lessons with students while using programs customized for each student is normally not regarded as a vocational school. An individual may create an organization to establish and operate a school, in which case that organization may qualify as a vocational school; however, it would be unusual for a vocational school to be established and operated by only one individual without the use of other personnel.
Read Also: How To Introduce Yourself In An Essay For College
Pros And Cons Of Tradeschools
Trade schoolsare an obvious choice for many students who do not have the means for atraditional education from a college or university. Just like otherconventional higher education institutions, trade schools offer various pathsfor a successful and promising future.
Most of themoffer certificates and diplomas to students straight out of high school orworking adults looking for opportunities to upgrade their skills and getcertified for their respective fields. These fields include but are not limitedto carpentry, graphic design, healthcare, culinary arts, and cosmetology.
Throughattending trade schools, students are equipped with the necessary knowledge andskills they needed for their chosen jobs.
Trade schoolshave both benefits and disadvantages for many students:
PROS OF ATTENDING TRADE SCHOOLS
Relevant, Career-Focused Skills
In tradeschools, students are taught practical skills that relate directly to theirchosen field of interest. Apart from the classroom lectures, which areconsiderably less, they are provided with ample hands-on training. Most ofthese training opportunities take place in settings that are similar to theworkplace.
Trade schoolshave little general education course requirements and, in most cases, none atall. Furthermore, students are also given limited opportunities for jobplacements after they graduate. Many employers look for individuals who havegained specialized knowledge from trade schools to bridge the employment gap.
Are There Any Other Resources That Can Help Me
Once you have identified which type of school you want to attend, you may have other items to consider, such as how you are going to pay for school. You may find it helpful to read additional articles in order to find out the best way to save for college and discover how to make money in college. You may also want to explore the possibilities for federal student aid and other financial aid options. And you might even need help figuring out exactly what career you want. By considering all of these factors, you can more clearly identify the training and career path that is going to be best for you.
You May Like: Can You Take Online College Courses In High School
What If Youre Not Sure About What You Want To Do
Some of you may already know exactly which career path you want to pursue. However, if you dont know, dont worry, youre not alone! There are many options available to you and the world is still a blank slate to you. It may take a while for you to decide, and thats okay. Talk to your parents, friends, teachers, and counselors. Tell them about some of the career choices youre considering or ask them for suggestions. If you need to, take time off between high school and your next academic step to really think about where you want to go and how youll get there.
Remember: This could set the stage for the rest of your life. Taking some time to really think about what you want to do and what will make you happy is just as important as deciding where youll go to make your dreams happen.