Monday, December 4, 2023

What Colleges In Texas Accept Dual Credit

Don't Miss

Earn College Credit As A High School Student

Dual Credit 101

At our five Alamo Colleges, the Dual Credit programs allow you to earn college credit for identified high school courses as an eligible high school student. For you to participate, your high school must be approved to offer dual credit courses or verification of your home school status.

If you qualify for Dual Credit, you may take courses in the 42-hour core curriculum listing or from the Professional and Technical Education programs. Courses taken should be aligned with your degree plan or career choice.

Accessibility Services And Resources

Disability laws may apply differently in College courses than they do in K-12. Students enrolled in college-level courses are considered College students, regardless of their age. College students with disabilities are not identified as such by the College Dual Credit Students are responsible for self-identifying as having a disability. Dual Credit Students must request disability accommodations in accordance with College policies and procedures. Since laws apply differently in colleges, compared to K-12, accommodations that are available in K-12 may be different or unavailable in college-level courses.

Lone Star College strongly recommends students contact the Disability Services Office as early as possible, or at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the semester to allow time to set services. For more information, please visit the Disability Services web page and scroll to the bottom of the page to view LSC Policy and Procedures for Students with Disabilities Rights . Find DS Provider names, phone numbers, and e-mails at the contact information web page for Campus Disability Service Providers.

An Innovative Dual Enrollment Program

OnRamps is an innovative dual enrollment program that enables high school students to experience the academic rigor of college and earn college credit at Texas Tech University or the University of Texas at Austin, while these students are still in high school.

Offerings include advanced courses with college-aligned content that transfer to any public university in Texas as core curriculum credits.Each participating high school teacher receives over 80 hours of training during their first year in innovative pedagogy, college-level content, and technology-enhanced education. The OnRamps program includes many unique features for dual enrollment.

  • OnRamps college coursework includes lab hours for science courses.
  • OnRamps high school courses are weighted as AP or Honors.
  • OnRamps courses fulfill requirements for the Texas High School STEM Endorsement.
  • OnRamps courses transfer to any public university in Texas as a core curriculum.
  • A TSI exam is not required for enrollment in an OnRamps course.
  • Students have until the last day of class to accept their college credit or withdraw from the course without penalty.

Read Also: Is Ashworth College Recognized By Employers

Department Of University Access

What is Dual Credit?

Dual credit gives eligible high school students the opportunity to earn both high school and college credit concurrently. In order for a student to participate, their high school must be approved to offer dual credit courses.

What is Early College High School ?

Early college high schools are innovative high schools that give students in grades nine through 12 the opportunity to earn up to 60 hours of college credit, all at no cost to their families. Through this program, high school students can take courses at the A& M-SA campus with university faculty and have access to campus support services. To be eligible to participate, students must attend a partnering high school and be recommended by the high school counselor.

  • Admissions
  • Contact your high school counselor regarding dual credit at your campus.
  • Complete and submit an ApplyTexas application and answer ‘Yes’ to the question, Are you applying to take college courses to be completed while you are still a high school student ?
  • Take the TSI Placement Exams for writing and essay, reading, and math.
  • All dual credit students are required to be TSI ready in at least reading and writing to begin taking college courses in the program. TSI readiness in all areas is required for math and science courses. Please see the Testing Center site for current college level scores.
  • Submit a signed Parent Consent Form
  • Submit bacterial meningitis information through the Med+Proctor Portal
  • Pathways
  • Student Resources
  • College Credit For Current High School Students

    Dual Credit Courses at MHS

    If you are a high school student who would like to earn college credit, Texas Tech, in cooperation with the programs below, offers a variety of opportunities. Please follow the link at the bottom of this page to apply. You will be asked to select the appropriate program at that time.

    The following programs have distinct requirements. You must have prior permission from your high school to utilize these four options:

    • Estacado High School: Dual Credit
    • Estacado High School: Early College High School
    • OnRamps

    Recommended Reading: Sell Used College Books

    Compass Program Through The Honors College

    The Compass Program is designed to introduce academically gifted, intellectually curious, mature, and responsible high school students to the college curriculum at Texas Tech University. Selected high school candidates will be invited to enroll in Texas Tech University courses and to engage with college-level coursework, to be mentored by TTU faculty, and to experience the university while still enrolled in high school.

    Compass Program Admission Requirements:

    High School Juniors and Seniors
    • Revised SAT score of 1360 or higher.
    • 3.6 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale.
    • Affidavit by high school counselor that student is ready to engage in college-level work.
    High School Sophomores
    • Must score in the 90th percentile or above on the PSAT 8/9.
    • 3.6 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale.
    • Affidavit by high school counselor that student is ready to engage in college-level work.

    If you are a high school students who would like to earn college credit prior to graduation, but the options above do not meet your needs, here’s how you can apply:

    • Complete the application below & pay application fee.
    • Provide an official high school transcript.
    • Send an email to describing the courses you are interested in taking.

    Early College Start Dual Credit Cons

    Naturally, with every choice we make for our children, there are always the negative aspects to consider. The main difficulty for me was the first one below.

    Parents have no say.

    At ACC parents must sign a form stating that they understand they cannot access any information on the student, they cannot talk to the teacher about their childs performance without the childs permission, and they cannot speak for the child once the child is enrolled as a college student. Each student is treated as an adult, regardless of his age. I questioned the admissions counselor about this policy, and she said that one childs parents ruined it for all parents to comethey changed their childs major from dance to biology, without even informing their child of this change. Granted, if I were the one paying for the classes, I would be relatively upset to find that my money was going toward making my child a prima ballerina instead of the next Nobel prize-winning scientist.

    Grades can be forwarded to prospective four-year colleges.

    The number of classes a child may take per semester may be limited.

    A high school transcript is required.

    Not every child can qualify.

    The rules for dual enrollment/credit are developed by the Higher Education Coordinating Board, and not by TEA. Since the fall of 1998 in order to be eligible for courses awarding dual credit, a high school student must take the Texas Higher Education Assessment .


    Read Also: Is Central Texas College Accredited

    Benefits Of Dual Credit

    • Earn up to 42 hours of college credit before graduating from high school.
    • Increase the likelihood you will complete high school, enroll in, and complete college.
    • Waive tuition and fees and reduce your overall time and cost to complete a college degree.
    • Enter the workforce earlier and begin earning wages.

    How Do Colleges Handle Dual Credit Earned In Hs Is More Easily Accepted Than Ap

    PJC Dual Credit Orientation Aug 2015

    < p> Do students in your HS have the opportunity to earn dual college/HS credit? How well accepted is it by colleges? Most colleges restrict the AP credit they will issue, according to subject area and scores, but this information is clearly posted by most colleges. OTOH, I am having trouble getting an answer about dual credit? I called our state flagship, and got a vague answer that students would get a determination upon accepatance. So there is no way to know ahead of time whether the dual credit will be worth anything to this state U. If anyone can tell me their experience, it would be helpfull. Are these credits brought in as transfer credits for an incoming freshman? Do some colleges refuse them? Is it always case-by-case, or are there places with clearly established policies?< /p>

    < p> Our son had a year of dual-enrollment credits and all but three or four credits were accepted. His school has an online matrix on courses that they have accepted in the past from particular universities. When someone takes a course from a university that they haven’t examined, they examine it and add it to the list. The matrix has the institution and course number and what it translates to in terms of course number, description and credits (they might convert a four credit course from another institution to a three credit course in theirs. Sometimes they don’t accept a course from another institution.< /p>

    < p> What school are you interested in?< /p>

    < p> Proxy:< /p>

    You May Like: Where Can I Watch College Hill Season 1

    South Texas College Dual Credit Programs

    The Dual Credit Programs at South Texas College provide the opportunity for eligible high school students, in a participating school district, to enroll in college courses while still attending high school.

    High school students interested in participating in the program must meet the same requirements as all other college students within the guidelines established by The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

    Eligible high school students are able to take courses in place of, or in addition to, the normal course load at their high school.

    Dual Credit courses, offered at high school sites, are provided at no cost to students.

    Where Do You Take Dual Credit Courses

    The simple answer is: it depends. It depends on what your state mandates and what your high school/community college has arranged. Some schools allow dual enrollment courses to be taught at the high school itself. This way, a dual enrollment course could become part of your normal school schedule.

    However, some courses require you to commute daily to the local community college, usually before or after normal high school hours. You may also be able to take a dual enrollment course online. Check with your high school counselor to see which of these options is offered by your school.

    Don’t Miss: Is Ashworth College An Accredited School

    Taking Classes Outside Of Ut Austin

    If you would like to complete coursework at other institutions over the summer, use the Automated Transfer Equivalency System to determine which classes at other public institutions in Texas will directly transfer to UT Austin.

    To take courses at an out-of-state or non-public Texas institution, complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation form available through the Office of Admissions.

    Students enrolled in the School of Undergraduate Studies are not allowed to take courses at more than one institution during fall or spring semesters. For example, a UGS student is not allowed to take calculus at Austin Community College while he or she is enrolled at UT Austin during a fall or spring semester.

    Early College Start Dual Credit

    Dual Enrollment

    Eligible high school students may be allowed to take a college credit course, which will earn college credit and also satisfy the high school graduation plans required course.

    Trying to find the way through the many alternatives of early higher education can almost cause migraines. Honors class grades and CLEP, SAT II, and AP test results are all viable means of persuading an admissions counselor that a child belongs in the higher-level classes once they reach college. These usually work, but some colleges will not accept certain CLEP test results, or they are skeptical that a mothers version of an honors class is not good enough, so what can she do? How can a parent make the best choice for her child? Which option yields the best dividends?

    My daughter is now an eleventh grader, but she is also in her second semester of taking dual creditor as called by some, Early College Start Dual Credit classes and is doing wonderfully. Why are dual credit classes such a good option?

    You May Like: How To Get Recruited For College Softball

    Transfer Disputes Involving Lower

    If a dispute occurs involving the transfer of lower-division courses, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has established the following procedures to resolve the dispute:

    • If an institution of higher education does not accept course credit earned by a student at another institution of higher education, the receiving institution shall give written notice to the student and to the sending institution that transfer of the course credit is denied. A receiving institution shall also provide written notice of the reasons for denying credit for a particular course or set of courses at the request of the sending institution.
    • A student who receives notice as specified in subsection may dispute the denial of credit by contacting a designated official at either the sending or the receiving institution.
    • The two institutions and the student shall attempt to resolve the transfer of the course credit in accordance with Coordinating Board rules and guidelines.
    • If the transfer dispute is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student or the sending institution within 45 days after the date the student received written notice of denial, the institution that denies the course credit for transfer shall notify the Commissioner of Higher Education of its denial and the reasons for the denial.

    Which Universities Accept Dual

    I am currently taking collage classes in high school and will receive an AA degree by graduation. A simple google search does not give me a list. So far Ive heard that universities in Washington and Texas accept them. If you know any other states that do this that would be great!

    There is no all-encompassing list. You need to go college by college for the schools on your list.

    As a general rule, your in-state public will more likely give credit than an OOS public or a private college.

    also, by having an AA you now will apply as a transfer student instead of as a freshman, which may put out of the running for some schools. Talk to your GC about this.

    Thats not always true. At the university I attended, You are a transfer student if you have attempted or completed 18 or more credits at another college or university after high school graduation.

    Dual enrollment college courses do not make you a transfer as long as you took these while in HS and you did not graduate . Still check with your GC.

    My D goes to a private college and they took all her DE credits. Keep the syllibi available for all classes taken and also you will get a transcript from the CC to send to the college that you get accepted from. I think these days many colleges take the credit., not sure about the AA

    It doesnt sound like s/he took dual enrollment classes though. A lot of straight CC classes is my guess. I would find it hard to believe that any HS would offer enough DE classes to get an AA.

    Don’t Miss: San Jac Meningitis

    High School Counselor Responsibilities

  • Schedule Dual Credit Information Sessions with respective college staff and high school staff.
  • Schedule ApplyTexas application and AlamoENROLL modules completion days.
  • Communicate TSI Placement Exam and qualifying scores to prospective Dual Credit students.
  • Schedule students to take the TSI Placement Exam in writing and essay, reading, and math.
  • Collaborate with High School Program staff at respective college to submit the following completed documents:
  • Parent Consent Forms
  • Recommendation List with all eligible student information and course recommendations
  • ISD Partners
    Charter and Private School Partners
    • Anne Frank Inspire Academy
    • Founders Classical Academy of Schertz
    • George Gervin Academy
    • School of Science and Technology
    • Southwest Prepatory School
    • St. Gerard Catholic High School
    • SunnyBrook Academy
    • University of Texas Charter Schools
    • Vanguard Christian Institute

    Transfer Of Credits From Other Colleges And Universities

    Lone Star College_Montgomery Homeschool Dual Credit Information Session July 23, 2020

    Evaluation of course credit earned at other institutions by the Transfer Evaluation Office does not decree approval of the credit for use toward degree requirements. Only the academic dean of the college offering the program in which a student is enrolled has authority for determining which courses will be applied toward any specific program. The only exception to this rule is that no transferred course completed with a grade below C- may be applied to fulfill course requirements in majors, minors, or specializations.

    Applicants must submit official records from all accredited institutions attended. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. All college-level, nonvocational courses completed with a passing grade of D or above at regionally accredited colleges and universities will be evaluated for acceptance of transfer credit by the Transfer Evaluation Office. The Transfer Evaluation Office determines acceptable transfer credit on the basis of an evaluation of course content as described from the sending institution’s catalog and in consultation with the appropriate academic units at Texas Tech University as necessary for clarification. While all credit hours presented on the sending institution’s transcripts will be evaluated, and equivalent college-level courses posted to the student’s academic record, a maximum of 72 semester credit hours from two-year colleges may be applied towards degree requirements.

    Read Also: Whats The Lowest Gpa

    How Do I Enroll

    Deadline for Summer 2021 registration for general, comprehensive Dual Credit is one week before the start of classes.

    Deadline for Fall 2021 registration for general, comprehensive Dual Credit is one week before the start of classes.

  • For registration deadlines for ECHS and P-TECH, please contact the Educational Partnerships office. Complete the High School Student Dual Credit online application.
  • High schools will receive a link to a pre-recorded application session.
  • oWhen you sign up for your virtual session, you will receive application steps by email for the application session to follow along.
  • Submit required Dual Credit forms.
  • We will work with your high school counselor to collect all your documents by the deadline for Summer and Fall registration. Please be sure to confirm the deadline with your high school counselor or your Dual Credit advisor.
  • Get registered for Dual Credit classes.
  • Your college Dual Credit advisor will register you for Dual Credit classes. They will also follow up with your high school counselor to confirm you have been registered or to address any other concerns.
  • *Contact your high school counselor Credit coordinator for more information about tuition scholarships for students attending Dallas County public or private high schools.

    Note: If your school is in Texas but outside Dallas County, you will be charged the in-county tuition rate for Dual Credit classes.

    More articles

    - Advertisement -

    Popular Articles