Wednesday, October 5, 2022

What Do I Need To Register For Community College

Don't Miss

Requesting Permission To Take Full

How to Register for Classes at OCC

If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can request permission from Service Canada to take full-time training when you apply for benefits.

  • visit a Service Canada Centre.

If you are already receiving benefits:

You should request permission before the course or training program start date so you can continue to receive EI benefits.

Service Canada will contact you by phone and by mail to let you know that your request for training has been approved.

As of August 5, 2018, if you are notified that your request has been approved, you will no longer have to be available for or looking for work during training.

Before August 5, 2018 If you are a long-tenured worker who has been disentitled from EI benefits because you are already taking full-time training and are not available for work, you can make a request to Service Canada for permission to attend the training so your benefits can resume on August 5, 2018.

Students Currently Enrolled Or Returning

During credit priority registration, you may register on the date and time based on the number of credits you have earned. After credit priority registration has ended, you may log in and register at any time. Speak to an Academic Advisor or Faculty Advisor as needed or log in to MyNCC and run a Degree Evaluation online to make sure you are on track.

Provide Your High School Diploma Ged Or Transcript

Community colleges want to see proof of past or upcoming high school graduation. If you don’t have your diploma from graduation yet or a GED, you should send a copy of your transcript. This will show your expected date of graduation and provide evidence that you’re working toward fulfilling your high school requirements.

You can get your transcript from your guidance counseling department. Then you can upload it to your online application, mail, or deliver it to the college in person. If you do have your diploma or GED, you usually don’t need to send your transcript, except for the select programs with their own requirements. You can just send one of those documents.

If your school needs your ID, make sure yours has a first name.

Recommended Reading: How To Test Out Of College Classes

Attend A New Student Orientation

As mentioned above, it’s a good idea to attend a campus tour and an information session before you apply to learn more about your prospective school. Many community colleges also hold orientations for new students. These usually span a day or two and give you information about financial aid, placement testing, student and campus resources and policies, and academic guidance.

They may also have you set up a school account and email address. If your school offers its own online portal, then you’ll probably do your class registration and other communication through that.

Why Do Students Choose Community College

4 Things You Need For A Smooth Event Registration

Students apply to community college for a number of reasons. Some high school students choose a dual enrollment track, in which they take community college classes to fulfill high school graduation requirements. Some adult students return to school after working for several years to further their education or pursue a new degree or career change. While students at 4-year colleges tend to be around 18 to 22, the average age of students at community college is a little older at 28.

For the purposes of this guide, let’s go over the common reasons that students who are about to or who have recently graduated high school choose community college, starting with those looking for professional training.

Also Check: 5 Year Rule College Credits

Practising As An Rn Or Rpn In Ontario

Becoming a member of the College is a legal requirement for anyone who wishes to practise nursing in Ontario.

Only members of the College can practise nursing in Ontario and use the titles nurse, Registered Nurse , Registered Practical Nurse , or Nurse Practitioner .

It is illegal for anyone to practise nursing or use any of these titles in Ontario without a valid certificate of registration issued by the College.

Your status as an RN or RPN informs the public that all individuals who identify themselves as nurses have the knowledge, skill and judgment required to provide safe and ethical nursing care.

The majority of successful applicants enter the General Class, the most common class of registration for nurses in Ontario.

Applicants who wish to begin nursing before they receive the result of their registration examination also have the option of applying to the Temporary Class, provided they meet the requirements for that class.

Taking Training While On Ei With Permission From Service Canada

Have you lost your job after several years in the workforce? If so, starting on August 5, 2018, Service Canada may permit you to continue receiving EI benefits while attending a full-time program of your choice provided by an approved educational institution. You must pay for the training yourself.

As of August 5, if Service Canada approves your request, you will not have to be available for work or look for work while at school. You may also be eligible for student financial assistance.

Recommended Reading: Where Can I Sell My School Books

Don’t Wait Until The Spring To Submit Your Application

In the past, high school guidance offices across the Commonwealth advised students that community college applications could be delayed until the spring months. Given that the community college is becoming less of a back-up option, students should submit their applications in the fall and early winter when they submit their four-year college and university applications. This also includes financial aid applications. With a change to the FAFSA last year related to the tax return data requested on the application, financial aid offices at community colleges have been reviewing FAFSAs and sending out financial aid packages much earlier, so that families can make better-educated decisions. Institutional financial aid is first come, first served, and you don’t want to miss the boat.

Additional Information For High School Students

How to Apply to Community College – Step by Step

If you wish to continue your concurrent enrollment into the next college semester, you may complete a new High School/College Credit Enrollment Authorization form. A new Application for Admission is not required.Courses taken for college credit may be used to meet high school graduation requirements. An official college transcript should be requested by the student and sent to the high school for graduation evaluation.Spring semester classes typically end in early June therefore, grades may not be available until mid-June. Please consider this fact when making plans for high school graduation.After high school graduation: If you have been enrolled in the HS/CC program, you are eligible to continue your enrollment at Grossmont College. Please notify the Admissions and Records Office of your graduation so that your records can be updated.

It’s free to apply to Grossmont College. Complete the Online Application for International Students.

  • Create an account as a new user and remember your user name and password.
  • If you do not have a Social Security Number, click on no number.
  • If you are living in your home country, be sure to click Foreign address before inputting your address.

Read Also: Fema Credits Frederick Community College

Colorado School Of Mines Inter

CCD and Colorado School of Mines also have an inter-institutional agreement. Students who are registered for six credit hours or more at CCD may apply to register for EDNS 151: Engineering Design I at CSM during the same term. This registration is intended to allow prospective CSM transfer students to be integrated into the CSM community in advance of their formal transfer from CCD to CSM. As part of the CSM inter-institutional program, you must meet the following requirements: be degree-seeking, be registered for six or more credit hours at CCD, and be co-enrolled in MAT 201 or have completed MAT 201. CCD degree-seeking students who want to take classes at CSM can pick-up the inter-institutional registration form from the Office of Registration and Records. Students who participate in the inter-institutional program are responsible for following the procedures and deadlines set by the two institutions. Once your application has been processed and your registration is approved with the course information, you will receive an email from CSM. Waitlisted students must diligently check their CSM email for the registration notification. If you fail to register within the allotted time, you will need to re-waitlist registration is not guaranteed. There are no exceptions if you do not register within the time allowed.

Taking Training While On Ei With Permission From Your Province/territory Or An Indigenous Organization

Do you want to take full-time training? You may be able to do this and continue receiving EI benefits. You will need to get permission from your provincial or territorial government. If you are Indigenous, you also have the option of getting permission from an Indigenous organization that provides employment programs in your province or territory.

Note: Provinces, territories and Indigenous organizations have the discretion to offer additional support and employment counselling to claimants as well.

To find information about other employment programs in your province or territory:

Also Check: Is Pearson Accelerated Pathways Accredited

Complete The New Student Orientation

All students should complete our online orientation that provides students with information on the programs offered at the college, students support services available, how to register for classes, and additional important information for students.

Once you complete your application and your application has been processed , you should be able to login to WebAdvisor. For help logging into WebAdvisor video tutorial .


Advanced Placement Exam

If an AP exam has been passed with a score of 3 or higher in the following classes: English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Calculus AB or BC, or Statistics, students can submit the appropriate documentation through theprerequisite clearance online form for possible English and math placement.

Course from Another College

If an English or math class has been completed from another college or university within the United States, students can submit the appropriate documentation through the prerequisite clearance online form for possible English and math placement.

You can also visit the Counseling Center to request English/Math placement using unofficial transcripts from another college. The Counseling Center is located in Building 10.

* Official transcripts from other colleges and universities must be submitted to Admissions and Records at Grossmont College.

Send A Complete Application Packet So As To Not Delay Your Acceptance

Dual Enrollment

While admissions requirements vary by institution, the community college system is fairly standard with the requirement of a recent high school transcript for high school seniors or a proof of graduation in the form of a diploma or final high school transcript for those applicants already out of high school. Students that submit a complete application for admission will likely hear of their acceptance within two weeks of submission.

Also Check: Sell My School Books

Fill Out And Submit Your Online Community College Application

While many 4-year schools use the Common Application or Universal Application, most community colleges have their own online application portals. A few states offer one system for all of their community colleges, such as California with its “CCCApply” site.

Every college designs its own website, but most will have a tab where you can click “Apply.” You can see a few examples of the application pages of this northeast community college, Bunker Hill Community College, along with the Community College of Philadelphia and City Colleges of Chicago .

While they have some differences in design, most community college applications ask for the same details: your name, address, citizenship, residency, high school, and intended major. Most ask for your overall goal, whether you want to earn an Associate’s degree or certificate, acquire personal or professional skills, transfer to a 4-year institution, or enter the workforce.

If you’ve already taken some college courses, then you may be able to transfer credits. Additionally, these applications ask if you’re applying for financial aid. Your last step will be providing your electronic signature and hitting submit.

As you can see, you typically don’t need to write essays, gather recommendations, or send SAT / ACT scores to community colleges. Generally speaking, the only document you need to provide from your high school is your diploma, GED, or transcript.

How Else Can You Prepare For Community College

While you can technically apply to community college at the last minute, you’d be much better off planning early, like in the winter or spring of senior year. Spend some time researching local community colleges or out of state schools and their programs. Attend information sessions, go on a tour, and try to speak to current and former students about their experiences.

You should clarify your reasons for attending and overall goals to make sure you’re choosing the best classes and earning the credits you need. Part of this research may also involve learning about the community college’s articulation agreements with state schools and other 4-year schools to which you might ultimately apply. While you may not be sure exactly what 4-year college you’ll eventually transfer to, you can still work closely with your advisor to learn about credit requirements and how and when to apply to Bachelor’s programs as a transfer student.

As you attend info sessions and meet with your advisor, make sure to prepare some questions about application requirements, class registration, and/or transfer agreements. By gathering all the information you need, you can make the most of your time at community college to learn, earn credits, and work toward your long-term academic and professional goals.

You May Like: Berry College Acres

Taking Training On Your Own While On Ei

As a general rule, to be entitled to Employment Insurance regular benefits or fishing benefits, you must show that you are unemployed, able and willing to work and actively looking for suitable employment.

If you decide on your own to take training, you must and prove that you are still able and willing to work and are continuing to look for a job to continue receiving EI benefits.

You must be ready to make arrangements to work if you receive a job offer, and to adjust or cancel your training plans if necessary.

Applying For Financial Aid

How to Register for Classes Online Using myWCC
  • 1Do your tax returns. To fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid , you need to have your tax returns done. If you’re a dependent, you’ll need your parent’s tax returns done as well. Since federal aid is based on income, the FAFSA needs tax information.XResearch source
  • A dependent means your parents still claim you as a dependent on your tax return. In that case, their incomes will be used to determine your financial aid. It’s also based on your age. The FAFSA can help you determine your dependency status, as it asks you a series of questions.XResearch source
  • If you must turn in your FAFSA before your tax returns are done, you can estimate your information when you turn it in. Later, you will need to amend your FAFSA with the proper information.XResearch source
  • 2Find the FAFSA. The best way to fill out the FAFSA is online at the government’s website for FAFSA. However, you can also download a form to print and mail in, or if you prefer, you can request a paper form by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID .
  • Filling out online make the process faster, plus you can save some data year to year.
  • 3Create a FSA ID. Creating an ID is not absolutely essential, but it makes the process much easier. If you create a FSA ID, you can sign your FAFSA electronically, as well as pull in information from the IRS.
  • Once you submit it, you need to verify your email by clicking a link that the website sends to you.
  • You May Like: Ashworth College Reputation

    Decide Where To Apply

    Since community colleges are open access, you don’t have to send applications to a few different safety, target, and reach schools as you would for other colleges. Instead, unless you’re applying to an especially selective track, you can figure out where you want to go and just apply there.

    If your main concern is staying close to home, as it is for many students who will be commuting, then you may simply choose the school in the most convenient location. Most states have several community colleges Massachusetts has 15 in 24 locations, New York and Texas have over 30, and California has 113! Chances are, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding local community colleges.

    Of course, you also want to make sure that the school has the program you want. Research its website, email the admissions office, go on a tour, and attend information sessions. These should be available throughout the year, and usually, you can sign up through the school’s website. Simply go to the website and find the “Visit Us” or “Information Session” page. That way you can make sure you find the best community colleges with the programs and resources you need.

    Once you’ve figured out where to enroll, you can find its online application.

    Registration Information For Non

    If you are currently enrolled in a degree program at another college or university, have a bachelors degree, or would like to just take some credit courses for now, you may apply and register for courses.

    Students will need to fill out a visiting student application, pay the processing fee, and submit documentation, such as transcripts or permits from home colleges.

    Recommended Reading: Ashworth College Accredited

    How To Apply To An Ontario College

  • Home
  • Applying
  • The first step in applying to college is to research the programs and colleges available to you. If you have not already decided what programs you are applying to, you can:

    The next step is to create an account with and begin your college application.

    Ready to start your application?

    to your account to complete your application, make changes or confirm offers of admission.

    More articles

    - Advertisement -

    Popular Articles