Orange You Glad There’s Funding In Florida
Student aid comes from a wide range of sources, including the Federal Government, private foundations, advocacy organizations, trade groups and a host of philanthropic entities that take up educational causes. As you assemble your college funding strategy, dont forget to tap rich state-sponsored resources that are ripe to help you pay for college.
Floridas Department of Education is on top of a comprehensive student assistance enterprise that provides scholarships and grants to Florida residents. If you live in the state, or are attending a Florida university, there may be resources available for you. And dont stop at Florida State Government aid, apply for memorial scholarships and other state-specific Florida awards that originate from private funding sources.
The Bright Futures Scholarship Program
The Bright Futures Scholarship Program is a merit-based scholarship open to all Florida high school graduates as long as you submit the Florida Financial Aid Application .
The program establishes lottery-funded scholarships to reward Florida high school graduates for high academic achievement. The money can be used for both public and private schools in a degree program, certificate program, or applied technology program at an eligible Florida institution.
The Bright Futures Scholarship Programs include:
Cost Of Private Schools
Although parents would often prefer the benefits of private schools, cost remains an issue for many families. On average, private elementary schools in Florida cost $7,810 per year while private high schools in the Sunshine State cost about $9,322 annually.
If you cannot afford these tuition rates every year, you are certainly not alone. Across the country, about 20 percent of private school students receive financial aid. Private school funding in Florida can come from publicly funded awards, individual schools and other organizations.
Recommended Reading: Do College Credits Expire After 5 Years
Why Parents Choose Private Schools
Families that choose private K-12 education over public options come to this decision for many reasons. Families must weigh their financial future, educational goals and local options when they make this personal decision.
In some districts, students get more individualized and rigorous education at the private school options than in the district’s public schools. Likewise, public schools in some areas may not be safe or have the funding they need to provide for each student.
In other situations, families choose private schools that uphold their religious beliefs. Other advantages of private schools include:
- Smaller class sizes
- Educators do not teach to a test
- Spiritual, athletic and academic opportunities
Migrant Farmworker Baccalaureate Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial support to a deserving student with a history of migrating for employment in agriculture who has successfully completed one year of college.
This support will cover expenses beyond what the youth is entitled to in federal/state and other scholarship assistance. This scholarship is designed to assist the youth in obtaining a baccalaureate degree without being encumbered with substantial debt.
This scholarship is made available through a generous endowment from a concerned individual for the education of children of migrant farmworkers. The donor wishes to remain anonymous.
The award will provide up to $2,000 per year for a maximum of three years and, if needed, additional support not to exceed $2,000 per year for three years for repayment of approved educational loans accrued for post-secondary education resulting in a baccalaureate degree. The student has the option to apply for two additional years of financial assistance at the same level for graduate studies.
Recommended Reading: Is Pearson Accelerated Pathways Accredited
How Much Can I Get
The maximum award amount for the 2020-2021 academic year is $6,345. The amount awarded will depend on the student’s:
- financial need
- status as a full-time or part-time student
- plans to attend school for a full academic year or less
You may use the 2021-2022 Pell Grant Calculator in order to calculate an estimate of your Federal Pell Grant eligibility.
Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program
To qualify for a Florida Bright Futures Scholarship, the student must:
- Be a Florida resident and a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. A students residency and citizenship status are determined by the postsecondary institution. Questions regarding such status should be directed to the financial aid office or admissions office of the institution the student plans to attend.
- Not owe a repayment or be in default under any state or federal grant, loan, or scholarship program unless satisfactory arrangements to repay have been made.
- Meet specific coursework and minimum grade point average and test score requirements which are outlined on the Office of Student Financial Assistance website.
For more, visit www.FloridaStudentFinancialAid.org.
ATS The Academic Top Scholars award, announced by the Florida Department of Education before the end of the fall term after all term one disbursements are reported, is awarded to the Florida Academic Scholar with the highest academic ranking in each county .
The recipient receives a cost per credit hour award established by the Florida Legislature in the General Appropriations Act in addition to the Florida Academic Scholars award. For current year award amounts visit www.FloridaStudentFinancialAid.org.
See the fact sheet at www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org for more info.
Read Also: Selling Used College Books
How To Get Grants For College
The cost of an education continues to climb, however, grants are a great way to offset a portion of your college-related expenses, and in some cases can actually cover the entire cost of an academic year.
Every year, hundreds of thousands of college-bound students from all walks of life are awarded college grants from a variety of sources. Like scholarships, grants are essentially free money and are not required to be repaid. However, they are somewhat different than scholarships in that they may not be directly related to merit, but rather based on just who you are.
For instance, you could obtain a scholarship based on your academic success in high school, or your athletic success as part of a high school sports team. A grant, on the other hand, might be awarded because you are a woman, or the daughter of a firefighter, or because you are African-American.
Grants are also available to encourage students to pursue degrees in a specific field such as teaching or nursing. While academic merit may be a factor in an organizations ultimate decision, having less than stellar grades doesnt necessarily mean you cant qualify for a grant. The trick is to find the grant that is best suited to your economic situation, your age/gender/ethnic background, and your chosen course of study.
Florida College Grants And Scholarships Best Options And How To Apply
How Student Loan Hero Gets Paid
Student Loan Hero is compensated by companies on this site and this compensation may impact how and where offers appear on this site . Student Loan Hero does not include all lenders, savings products, or loan options available in the marketplace.
Student Loan Hero Advertiser Disclosure
Student Loan Hero is an advertising-supported comparison service. The site features products from our partners as well as institutions which are not advertising partners. While we make an effort to include the best deals available to the general public, we make no warranty that such information represents all available products.
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the authors opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.
OUR PROMISE TO YOU: Student Loan Hero is a completely free website 100% focused on helping student loan borrowers get the answers they need. Read more
How do we make money? Its actually pretty simple. If you choose to check out and become a customer of any of the loan providers featured on our site, we get compensated for sending you their way. This helps pay for our amazing staff of writers .
Bottom line: Were here for you. So please learn all you can, email us with any questions, and feel free to visit or not visit any of the loan providers on our site. Read less
Florida College Academic Scholarships
The Pell Grant is federal need-based aid that you generally do not pay back. If you withdraw from school, you may be subject to paying back a portion of the grant. After you apply for admission and complete the FAFSA, your award letter will explain if you qualify for a Pell Grant as well as the maximum amount you can expect to receive as a full-time student.
Ascent Student Loans Disclosures
Ascent loans are funded by Bank of Lake Mills, Member FDIC. Loan products may not be available in certain jurisdictions. Certain restrictions, limitations and terms and conditions may apply. For Ascent Terms and Conditions please visit: AscentFunding.com/Ts& Cs
Rates are effective as of 05/01/2022 and reflect an automatic payment discount of either 0.25% OR 1.00% . Automatic Payment Discount is available if the borrower is enrolled in automatic payments from their personal checking account and the amount is successfully withdrawn from the authorized bank account each month. For Ascent rates and repayment examples please visit: AscentFunding.com/Rates.
1% Cash Back Graduation Reward subject to terms and conditions, please visit AscentFunding.com/Cashback. Cosigned Credit-Based Loan student borrowers must meet certain minimum credit criteria. The minimum score required is subject to change and may depend on the credit score of your cosigner. Lowest APRs are available for the most creditworthy applicants and may require a cosigner.
You May Like: Does The Air Force Pay For School
Effective Access To Student Education Program
The Effective Access to Student Education Program, formerly the Florida Resident Access Grant, provides tuition assistance to students attending a participating private or nonprofit university. Those schools will have their own application procedures, deadlines, award amounts and eligibility requirements.
In general, students must be pursuing their first bachelors degree and taking at least 12 credit hours per term. Students enrolled in degree programs in theology or divinity are not eligible for the program.
To apply, contact the participating schools financial aid office.
Help For Students Pursuing A Teaching Degree
- The T.E.A.C.H. Early ChildhoodÂ® Scholarship Program awards scholarships to students earning a college degree in Early Childhood Education. The program also provides financial aid for individuals earning or renewing a credential to work as staff or director of a child-care center or home-based provider.
Also Check: How To Get Recruited For College Softball
The American Board Of Certification Of Teacher Excellence Teach And Inspire Scholarship Program
Applicants for the Teach and Inspire Scholarship must:
- Hold US citizenship or permanent residency
- Have a bachelors degree
- Not hold a renewable teaching license
- Be willing to make a 3-year teaching commitment in a high-need area in South Carolina, Mississippi or Florida
Graduating seniors are welcome to apply within two weeks of their official graduation date. Visit the JSU website to find out more.
Federal Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant
If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan, you may be eligible for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if:
- you are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution but meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements, and
- your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
- you were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parents or guardians death.
The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant for the award year but cannot exceed your cost of attendance for that award year. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,815 for the 201617 award year .
More information regarding the Federal Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant can be found on the .
Also Check: Ncaa Wcws Tickets
Children Of Fallen Heroes Scholarship
Under the Children of Fallen Heroes scholarship, beginning with the 2018-2019 award year, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made. All Title IV aid awarded to such eligible students must be based on an EFC of zero without regard to the students calculated EFC.
To qualify for this scholarship, a student must be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible EFC , and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parents or guardians death. In subsequent award years, the student continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.
Public College Grants Vs Private College Grants
Some grants can be used only at public institutions of higher ed while others are confined to private colleges and universities. These types of student grants are often seen in college-specific aid packages, but they may also originate from external organizations.
Graduate School Grants:
- The Beinecke Scholarship Program gives $34,000 to students wanting to attend graduate school for the arts, humanities, or social sciences.
- The Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans program donates up to $90,000 toward graduate study. Applicants must be younger than 31, have completed a level of education between their college senior year and their graduate school second year, and be classified as a New American .
Law School Grants:
- The American University Washington College of Law awards need-based grants to full-time JD students for up to three years. The grant must be renewed annually, and applicants must complete the Need Access form.
- The American Bar Associations Legal Opportunity Scholarship encourages racially and ethnically diverse women and men to attend law school. These grants provide $15,000 over three years.
Medical School Grants:
Nursing School Grants:
Business School Grants:
Technical School Grants / Trade School Grants / Vocational School Grants:
You May Like: Colleges That Take 2.5 Gpa
Frederick W And Grace P Brecht Scholarship
This scholarship is for students who have been residents of Brevard County for at least two years or those who have graduated from Brevard county high schools. Eligible students must:
- Be accepted for admission to a community college or university in the state of Florida
- Be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking student in an undergraduate, graduate or professional program.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have an overall GPA of 2.0.
- Have good moral character and habits.
Awards are around $1,000 each, and Brecht Scholarship applicants must file Federal FAFSA requests.
Emu National Scholars Program
The EMU National Scholars Program is a four-year award that pays 30 credit hours per year of out-of-state tuition differential.
The student must be a new freshman or new transfer student with a minimum 3.50 GPA and a resident of a state other than Michigan or Ohio to be considered. Freshmen recipients must live in university housing the first two years of this award.
Also Check: How Much Are College Classes
Florida Grants Your Education Free Money
The Florida Department of Education Office of Student Financial Assistance administers several popular state post-secondary education grants and scholarships. OSFA also provides information for parents, students, and high school guidance professionals helping Florida college students gain access to state financial aid resources.
The Florida Public Student Assistance Grant Program for Public Schools is a need-based undergraduate student aid program for Florida residents.
- Attend a Florida public state university or public community college
- Institutions must be Title IV eligible with U.S. Department of Education approved accreditation and administer Pell Grants
Florida Public Post-secondary Career Education Student Assistance Grant Program helps Florida students obtain vocational training.
- Attend a Florida community college or career center offering career certificate programs of 450 hours or more, or 15 semester credit hours
- Florida resident
The Florida Private Student Assistance Grant Program provides a leg-up for Florida college students enrolled outside the public university system. Qualified candidates attend independent colleges or universities operating as non-profit organizations.
School Eligibility Requirements:
The Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program creates several lottery scholarships for students with outstanding academic accomplishments.
Florida Farmworker Student Scholarship Program
The Florida Farmworker Student Scholarship offers financial assistance to up to 50 eligible students who qualify as farmworkers or are children of farmworkers.
To apply for this scholarship, youll need to be a Florida resident, have a GPA of 3.5 for high school courses and be a farmworker or child of a farmworker. The scholarship award could be as much as 100% of your tuition expenses.
You May Like: How Much Does The Air Force Pay For College
Best Scholarships For Florida High School Students
- Graduating senior from Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte, or DeSoto county
- Graduating Associate degree students from State College of Florida , Edison, or South Florida Community College
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Letters of recommendation from teachers and community members demonstrating personal growth potential
- Essay describing your personal values and future plans
The Selby Scholarship was founded in the 1950s due to William G. Selbys desire to help the young men he encountered in his oil business, whose futures were hampered by their lack of education. Since then, the Selby Scholarship has helped thousands of young people unlock their potential. More than just a scholarship, this opportunity also provides mentorship to recipients. Winners will attend the Selby Scholar Symposium, where theyre paired with community leaders working in their chosen fieldsproviding them with an opportunity to network and learn more about potential career paths.
- Permanent resident of Florida, residing in Broward, Hendry, Martin, Okeechobee, or Palm Beach county
- Completed junior year of high school
- 2 letters of recommendation
- 200-word or fewer essay using the prompt, As a graduating senior, what advice would you have given yourself as an incoming high school freshman?
- Additional consideration is given for applicants who participate in, or have previously participated in, the South Florida Fair
Deadline: April 18, 2022